Welcome to our blog!
RSS

Monday 5 January 2009

My Weekend!

My social life is impressive around this time of year... there is always something going on!

Friday
I decided to go out with a few friends, just wind down and have a good time! Prior to Friday, I hadn't been out since Nigerian Independence so you could say I was a little hyped! We got to the first venue and that 'black timing' was not impressive at all and we couldn't get in, lol... so the club hopping began. I was calling everyone I knew in the promotion industry because none of us wanted to go home and the trouble we went through to find another event was hilarious!

I miss that aspect of going out, having a laugh and just for a few hours not having any cares in the world! We now arrived at the 'substitute event' and it wasn't 'poppin' but we had an okay time! I was there for a few minutes when I clocked that the music was still the same! Before Nigerian Independence, I had still not been out for ages so the fact that the DJ was spinning the same 'ol tunes got me thinking!

The scene never changes! Some of the songs do but from when I was hearing the bait 80's tunes at the end, the good ol' candy routine never fails, oh and my fave 'roses are red, violets are blue, and the only thing I'm certain of is... i love youuuuuu!!', I realised that I'm not missing a thing!

The lights came on... girls running away from the dance floor like vampires! The hype had gone for me and we left! Again, the journey back was intense! One minute you're all laughing, the next... trying to diffuse arguments within the group! One of the girls went home sulking and it killed the mood for the rest of us... albeit I still had fun! I don't know when we're going to go out again but I really think the next stop will be an 'African' club... we were sooooo close to going Friday night but when we saw one 'big mama' going to queue up... (and I'm calling her that because she looked like those big aunties you see at parties or even in church), it just didn't feel right... but I will go this year! Gonna add it to the '09 list!

Saturday was a bit different! My 14 year old sister had a birthday party, I know 14... but my dad said he wanted to throw a party for her! Started off quite shaky.. got to the hall and the dj was playin some 'off' tunes... *side eye*... was not impressed in the slightest but I just put it down to him doing a test run before the people came! Her friends started coming and thats when my headache started! KMT!! I've realised that there is a certain age I don't like and that is 13-15 year olds.... I know I was once that age but I'm telling you I was not fast like that! And I can vouch for that because when I was 13-15 I always looked two or so years younger... not many people wanted to hang out with me (sad I know) but that meant constant tv for me, b2k and constant tv!! Because of that I know an extensive range of songs that I'm not even supposed to (70's songs come on and I know the words... how?! My tv era!)... I digress, so basically these kids looked like they could be 16+... kmt... the girls were fast and the guys even faster!

Music was playing, food had been consumed and routinely the guests should have started dancing but they didn't! I had an idea to switch the lights off and then when the dancing was underway, switch the lights back on! I did so... the lights went off and everyone was on the dancefloor... five minutes later I switched them back on.... the floor cleared! Arggghhh!! Tried again, same thing! I gave up and switched the lights off... had a few friends my age to chaperone the floor and yes they were needed!

Maybe its me, maybe I'm naive but at 14... what kind of dancing are you supposed to do?! I know the running man is backdated but you know, a more updated version... I expected them to 'pop' n 'lock'... breakdance, some routines! Err nah!! I saw straight adult moves, these kids have been watching too much tv... asking girls 'can I wine wiv you?'.... it just turned into a nightmare! I became that adult I swore I would never become... separating these excitteeeddd little kids and telling them they can still have fun without dancing like that! Telling the grown looking girls that being in a 'sandwich' is soooooo not a good look... I guess those warnings fell on deaf ears 'cos as soon as my back was turned... they were 'at it' again!

Ah... by the end of the day, I was extremely tired, frustrated and agitated! Never again... If you have a younger brother or sister... watch them closely!! NO PARTIES!! Just those family gathering type celebrations... these kids of nowadays have really grown wings! Don't be surprised if you hear your 13 year old brother on the phone saying "yeahhh G, that girl was soo on it... man gave her tha 079 but I aint even tryna get wiv her like that... watch the way I treat her at Simon's party.... Imma call u back tho... Chucklevision is on!"

Remember I told you!

- Gabrielle

1 Thoughts and Responses:

Fab Black Woman said...

Haha that is so funny but yet so true. Those squeaky, high-pitched 14 year old girls do my head in!

Well all you got to do is fnd your little sister a hobby. Trust me, my brother is 13 but he is so 'bang on' football that I doubt he has time for girls!

Girls getting sandwiched..hang on, was your dad there? That's not right!

Post a Comment